Re: Basic Index Question - Why 5%?

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_i84.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 03:53:02 GMT

One other thing.. An index lookup is not neccesarily just 2 reads. In a b-tree structure, a block can point you to another block first before pointing to you to the block you want on disk. In general I think it's at least 3 I/O's. One for the header, one for the leaf, and then one to disk. If things are fragmented badly, it could be much worse. Also, that rule of thumb seems a little narrow. I've heard (as a rule of thumb), more like 30% or more before a FTS can be faster, but as another posted pointed out, there are a LOT of factors involved.