Basic Index Question - Why 5%?

From: MohammedB <mohammedbNOmoSPAM_at_iadb.org.invalid>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:19:52 -0800

I'm having a little trouble trying to conceptulize this scenario.

I've read that index use is optimal when selecting 5% or less records in a table. I would have thought that anything less than 49% would be effective since you'd have one read of the index and one read to retrieve the corresponding record (reads < 98% of total data). I'm talking about a basic equality query using b-tree indexes and no PQ. Would'nt this be more efficient than a full-table scan (reads = 100% of data)? Also, why is the break even point around 5%? Is their some sort of optimization theory involved here?

Confused.

mkb