Re: multi-user database design

From: <R.Cudd_at_cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:39:41 GMT

In article <864ejb$2oo$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com> wrote:
> In article <862uvs$1a5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> racudd_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > How do the likes of Amazon and Hotmail etc (anyone with loads of
> users)
> > design their databases ? Would they set up a new database user for
> > each of their customers and thus have literally thousands of users
> > accessing their database at a time. Or would they have one or two
> > "power" users to access their databases and retrieve all of the data
> > and then pass it back to each individual user ?
> >
> > Also, would they use persistent db connections (with Apache and
> > mod_perl or something) to increase speed or would they try and save
> > some memory and just make a new connect to the database each time
the
> > users request information? I can imagine that persistent
connections
> > would limit the number of concurrent users possible due to memory
> usage.
> > Thanks
> > Richard
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> --
> When you search or browse Amazon's products, did you supply a userid?
> No. Since you don't supply a userid, they can't be setting up a
userid
> just for you to connect to the database. So how do you connect to the
> database to search for books? *You* don't connect to the database.
The
> application itself(in this case, the code behind the web page),
> connects to the databse, using its own userid.
>
> Ed Stevens
> (Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You're right Amazon is a bad example. I was thinking more of sites where you actually "become a member" and thus have to login with a password and userid such as Hotmail or myfamily.com etc. Do these guys have a user on their database for each of their customers ? Thanks,
Richard

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 19 2000 - 11:39:41 CST