Re: test and production on same database ??

From: <polluxaj_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:40:08 GMT

I agree. If you have a mission critical database then you preferably need 4 machines and 4 databases.

  1. Production m/c and database.
  2. Volume Test m/c and database, should mirror the production m/c.
  3. Development m/c and database.
  4. A spare to allow the DBA to perform practise o/s upgrades, database upgrades and patches.

Then you have your disaster recovery and your failover/standby etc etc etc.

Regards

In article <947764271.152617_at_igateway.postoffice.co.uk>,   "Paul Jeynes" <jeynesp_at_postoffice.co.uk> wrote:
> Catherine,
>
> It's fine to create these tables in different schemas and control
access as
> suggested but in all honesty it is best to keep production and
testing apart
> in different databases preferably on different servers (although this
isn't
> always achieveable due to hardware constraints).
>
> Reason being, testing is intended to address the functionality of the
system
> and to monitor how it performs under test circumstances. These test
> circumstances should mirror the production environment as closely as
> possible. This cannot be realistically achieved if the database is
also
> being used in parallel as a production site. You could/probably
would get
> conflicting results from testing especially in the area of
performance.
> Testing could also have a detrimental effect on users of the
production data
> also which must be considered.
>
> In my experience, splitting the two databases is the safest course of
> action.
>
> Catherine VOGEL wrote in message <85k6fd$1nn$1_at_news.mgn.net>...
> >Hello
> >
> >Here is french asking !
> >
> >How can we do for having on same database one access on data of
users and
> >another access on data for tests ?
> >
> >congratulation for attentive responses
> >
> >best regards
> >
> >Jean-François Burgos
> >A++

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 13 2000 - 09:40:08 CST