Re: What are the benefits/drawbacks of placing tables into different tablespaces?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:33:04 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:32:59 -0500, "jgroff" <jgroff_at_msn.com> wrote:

>So the only benefit you can get from splitting tables into seperate table
>spaces is the ability to place them on different devices?

No. Many more. For example: many databases have tables and indexes with different access/allocation/volatility. If you segregate similar objects (tables/indexes) along these characteristics to the same tablespace, then you get better spread of disk space use. Read-oriented tables also can be segregated (for lack of a better term) into separate tablespaces. Think along the lines: objects with similar space management characteristics and similar access paths can be segregated into their own tablespace. This allows for better use of the allocated disk space.

Another thing that is quite popular is to segregate by size. Have smaller objects live in a "small-object" tablespace, medium and large. That helps too.

Of course, when you have multiple schemas in a single instance, then it helps to allocate each schema to its own set of tablespaces. Considerations here are recoverability and access.

I'm sure there are other reasons. Not a bad idea to use multiple tablespaces for the above reasons as well as many others.

HTH Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed Jan 12 2000 - 06:33:04 CST