Re: Deleting Archive logs

From: <rungr_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:03:57 GMT

In article <387A877E.94E2AD00_at_cis.com.ph>,   Michael Puente <mcpuente_at_cis.com.ph> wrote:
> Assuming that when recovering, you always use the latest online backup
then you
> can discard archived redo logs generated before starting last nights
online
> backup.
>
> Merlin Team wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can somebody just clarify when it is safe to delete old archive
logfiles.
> > Currently our backup sequence consists of
> >
> > Nightly - a hot backup where we copy the datafiles and current
archivelogs
> > to tape
> > Weekly - a cold backup, close down the database and copy all the
datafiles
> > to tape
> >
> > If we need to recover the database am I safe in assuming that when
we do a
> > cold backup Oracle will not need any of the previous archivelogs in
the
> > event of a recovery.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul
> > merlin_team_at_hotmail.com

Paul;
I delete archived redo logs after they have been put onto TWO UNIX backup tapes. Our UNIX gurus run incrementals daily, and fulls weekly. Reason being that I want to be able to do a point-in-time recovery using any set of tapes. We keep our last TWO backups around (i.e., on disk), as well. This way, I can restore back to a) sometime since our last cold backup, b) our last cold backup, c) sometime before our last backup, or d) to the next-to-last cold backup, without ever having to go to tape. We have a development environment, and this has been very helpful. This same setup is overkill for production, as we have only one ever restored a production database (after a new application software release did some silly things to the data).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 13:03:57 CST