Re: cold backup/ is this right?

From: <rungr_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:50:37 GMT

In article <387ada4c.111984830_at_news.pacbell.net>,   peter_at_kellner.com (Peter Kellner) wrote:
> I want to make a general "cold" backup procedure for my many customers
> running oracle 7.3.4 in noarchivelog mode on windows NT. My thoughts
> are that if I get a list of all the datafiles (select * from
> v$datafile), backup those, then backup the control files, that this
> should be everything. Is this true?
>
> My thoughts are that if there is a crash, the user can restore a full
> cold tape backup (or install NT and oracle just as they did the first
> time), then simply put all the datafiles back, then put the control
> files back, restart oracle, and they should be good as new.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Am I out to lunch? If so, how
>
> 2. Is there an sql select that tells me what the names and directory
> locations of the control files are.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Peter

Peter;
  Couple things to consider:
data files: select name from v$datafile order by bytes desc;

log files:  select member from v$logfile;
ctl files:  select name from v$controlfile;
alert log:  select value from v$parameter where
name='background_dump_dest';

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 12:50:37 CST