Re: how does OAS work ??

From: James Anderson <jwanders_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:36:07 -0500

The important thing to remember here is that OAS uses a web server to field requests from users, so your questions really pertain more to the web server. Are you using the web server supplied with OAS (Spyglass)? If not, which server are you using?

Regardless of the web server you're using, you'll need to set up the host name you want in your HOSTS file on Windows NT. This file is in the directory c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc. From your example you should already have a hostname in there called "ora80"; if so, just add "www" after it on the same line, separated by at least one space.

Next, you'll have to make sure your Windows NT system has your "nile.com" domain set up. That's in the Control Panel under "Network". Check the Protocol settings for your network adapter, or the Loopback Adapter if you're using that. Get the domain set up and your host name in HOSTS and you should be able to hit your web server at "www.nile.com".

Finally, you'll want to make sure your web server is registered with OAS, and that OAS has the virtual path defined for its cartridge. If you're using the web server provided with OAS, you only have to make sure your virtual directories are set up; if you're already using the application through OAS, there's nothing else to do.

Regards,

James W. Anderson
Oracle Consulting
Atlanta, Georgia USA