Re: Installing Oracle 8i on Redhat 6.1

From: Sascha Luedecke <sascha_at_meta-x.de>
Date: 08 Jan 2000 14:49:04 +0000

    Axel> Hello, i want install Oracle 8i on Redhat 6.1. I have
    Axel> downloaded jre_118 from blackdown.org.  When i start the
    Axel> oracle Installer (runInsteller) i receive the following
    Axel> error message:

    Axel> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from     Axel> /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait...

    Axel> Error in CreateOUIProcess(): -1

    Axel> : Ungültige Adresse

I tried to install Oracle 8.1.5 on a SuSE 6.2 and had similiar, big problems. Sometimes I was able to install parts of the system, but the installation always was incomplete and far from usable, but this behaviour was not deterministic. It seems as if the OUI shipped from Oracle is buggy. SuSE provides a patch on their website which could successful repair the stuff:

        http://www.suse.de/en/support/oracle/

Their patch (SuSE 6.2, Oracle 8.1.5i) contains several rpm packages:

Sascha

PS: <quote from SuSE>

        (FYI [For Your Information]: Oracle 8i on SuSE Linux 6.2 has
        been officially certified by Oracle)
    </quote>

--
Two things seem infinite, the universe and human idioty. I'm not sure

of the universe's.                                    (Albert Einstein)