Re: Instance, database ?? what is the difference?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:01:24 +0100

An instance is the set of processes, threads and memory structures to manage one (1) database.
One instance manages one database. One database is associated with one instance, unless you have Oracle Parallel Server, where a second instance on a different server will also manage that database (typically done in high-availability situations)
If you are going to create a second database, you are going to create a second instance. Whether your system will allow that or not is purely an issue of resources, not of Oracle.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA