Re: Instance, database ?? what is the difference?

From: Sash. <saha.s_at_meryllynch.co.uk>
Date: 5 Jan 2000 15:26:54 GMT

Mike Ng <mike_at_email.tech-trans.com> wrote in article <387315db_3_at_news1.prserv.net>...
> Actually, I cannot clarify the difference between instance and database
> clearly. Anyone can give me some hints.
> Thank you in advance.

Oracle defines instance as a combination of memory structures (Shared Global Area - including Shared Pool, Database Buffer Cache & Redo Log Buffer) and Background Processes (PMON, SMON, DBWR, LGWR + optional) for ONE database.
If you want to run a second instance, that depends on your system/hardware configuration.
Regards, Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 09:26:54 CST