Problem /w Export Script on Unix

From: John2k <john2k_at_usa.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 19:18:37 GMT

I've a bit of problem with a couple of Unix Scripts I wrote to do a scheduled export from Oracle.

The first script figures out appropraite parameters and passes them to the second script, which does the actual export. The problem is that the process works fine only when I run the script as user oracle from the command line. But, if I schedule the same exact command, as user oracle, to run from cron, the process fails in EXP line, giving me a System Error 32.

I'm runnin Oracle 8.0.4 on HPux 10.20 and my database has grown so large that I can not do a simple export (i.e. I do not have enough contigous space to do an export dump and then compress the dump), so I've tried to use a pipe file to zip the output from export, as the data comes out! Anyhow, here is the code:

Call from first shell script to second:

/home/dba/bckup_cycle/exp.sh /u01/db1/db1_pipe /u01/db1/db1_exp.dmp.gz passwd dbname /u01/dba/db1_exp.log

The second script file: exp.sh

mknod $1 p
ll $1
gzip < $1 > $2 &