Re: Oracle on NT server versus Solaris server

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:29:29 +0800

Gisele Eisenmann wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Can anyone help me?
> I am new to Oracle and I must buy for my
> worldwide team a new server machine which will
> host our future team database (used in a big Web application).
>
> Questions are:
> What could be the correct criteria to help me selecting
> between a NT server and a Solaris server ?
> Does anyone have suggestions about this choice?
>
> And lastly, a question about Oracle 8i.
> My company is used to work with Oracle 8.0.
> I fancy to use Oracle 8i (because of the Java features).
> Is it easy to move from one administration to the other?
> Is it worth to move to Oracle 8i ?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
> Happy new year.
> Gisele

The NT-ites will recommend NT, and the Unix-ites will recommend Unix. I'm a Solaris person so thats my bias. Its more a case of ensuring that what you buy is up to the task...An over-configured NT box will outperform an under-configured Solaris one and vice-versa.

Sorry to be so vague..
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Dec 30 1999 - 04:29:29 CST