Re: Oracle on NT server versus Solaris server

From: Bent Mathiesen <bm_at_tli.de>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:14:24 +0100

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 16:34:37 +0100, "Gisele Eisenmann" <geisenma_at_ilog.fr> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Can anyone help me?
>I am new to Oracle and I must buy for my
>worldwide team a new server machine which will
>host our future team database (used in a big Web application).
>
>Questions are:
> What could be the correct criteria to help me selecting
>between a NT server and a Solaris server ?
>Does anyone have suggestions about this choice?

I have been working with NT's and Solaris machines.

I recommend Solaris.

>And lastly, a question about Oracle 8i.
>My company is used to work with Oracle 8.0.
>I fancy to use Oracle 8i (because of the Java features).
>Is it easy to move from one administration to the other?
>Is it worth to move to Oracle 8i ?

I am currently upgrading 7.3.4 to Oracle 8i. Basically it is to gain performance in some areas and to get a newer version.

If 8i is better or worse than 8, I cannot tell. Anyway, if nessesary, there are sql scripts included to downgrade the rdbms.

If it need more memory we just use some. All our >=14 sun's have 2 GB ram.

So far the test I've been doing, show better performance in 8i than 7.3.4. But I cannot tell if the test show right result (yet).

/Bent Received on Fri Dec 31 1999 - 03:14:24 CST