Re: Oracle Net8 Assistant Listener folder not displaying

From: <rleithiser_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:24:26 GMT

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. The directories/files are all there and I can fire up net8 assistant from either enterprise manager or the start menu with no problems. I tried on another machine that has a production version of Oracle 8.0.3 and it showed the exact same menu (no listener item). I think listener must be working OK because the lsnrctl80 starts OK and I have no problems registering the service names and connecting to my instance from other machines.

I am beginning to think the problem is that the version of the Net8 Assistant that is included with the 8.0 trial simply does not have the listener configuration feature. It is a java application but help about shows 8.0.3 with a date of May, 1997. It appears that all of the configuration options in the GUI are available from within the lsnrctl80 utility.

Can anyone confirm what the current production version/date of Net8 assistant should be?

As an alternative, I'm wondering if I can just install the version from my 8i trial. Does the 8i Net8 Assistant work with 8.0 Oracle instances? Will I mess up my Oracle 8 installation by installing the 8i Net8 assistant?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

In article <uywa4.21097$Ym1.1014497_at_tw11.nn.bcandid.com>,   "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:
> The normal path is Oracle Home\Network\Admin\listener.ora (also
> tnsnames.ora etc) for the configuration files
> or
> Oracle Home\Bin\lsnrctl.exe for the executables
>
> You must have these pieces somewhere for the listener service to be
up and
> running and for you to be able to connect. Look around some more.
>
> Van
>
> <rleithiser_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > I am running version 8.0.3 of Net8 Assistant under Windows NT (from
the
> > Oracle 8 trial version) and the only folders that appear are
> > Network
> > - Profile
> > - Service Names
> > - Oracle Name Servers
> >
> > Can anyone tell me why there is no listener folder? Am I running an
> > old version or could this be a configuration issue? I've tried
going
> > back to the original tnsnames.ora and still no change. I believe it
> > has been like this since I installed.
> >
> > I've been able to use the NET8 easy assistant and add service names
> > without problems and everything else in my installation seems to
work
> > fine. The listener service (ORATNS80Listener) is also started and
> > appears to be running OK.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Robert Leithiser
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Dec 30 1999 - 09:24:26 CST