Partitioning primary key

From: <ddiesh_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:35:24 GMT

I have an historical table partitioned by a transaction date, with a sequence-generated primary key. I would really like to have a local primary key index, but I cannot do that unless the partition key is a subset of the primary key (resulting in a local, prefixed, unique index).

I am wondering what the best course of action is. Should I add the partition key to the primary key, even though it does not aid in uniqueness? But then the PK index won't be used for queries that specify only the sequence, and I don't think that's acceptable. Should I disable the primary key, and create a local, non-prefixed (non-unique) index on just the sequence? Then uniqueness won't be enforced, but maybe that is acceptable, since a sequence guarantees that no duplicates will occur.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 29 1999 - 12:35:24 CST