Re: Control File - Oracle 8.0.5. under WinNT

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:32:43 -0800

While the other postings are the easiest way to do this, my reading of your problem is that you have no copies, and therefore you won't be able to start the database and issue the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE command. If so, then you will need to try and write a CREATE CONTROLFILE command. This is not the easiest thing to do when the database is down, because you need to have the exact location and file name of every datafile and redo log file in the database.

If you do have copies of the controlfile somewhere, then you can just shut the database down, copy the control file to the new location, edit the CONTROL_FILES parameter in the init.ora file and restart the database.

HTH. Pete