Re: Oracle on NT versious UNIX

From: Terry Banicki <banicki_at_webmart.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:53:46 -0600

It all depends: Number of conections, Amount of data, Cost of Downtime? Our shop is kind of backwards...
Last summer we tried to remove Unix Servers all together. We don't have much Unix expertise. Tried to make the argument, "We Do NT Right". Didn't fly.
We have 20 NT System Admins VS. 1 Unix Admin. It ended up that we, IT, will support whatever the end user wants. Stay with what ever you have a support base for! Make the freaking consultant write a business case to switch platforms with fully load costs, including NT training, learning curve lost productivity, purchase of new hardware.

We are pushing the NT limit. Running 4 way xeons at 80%. Just bought 4 8ways. The one thing that UNIX does better than NT is, SCALE really big. Other than that we can argue almost any other point.
Terry