Re: Oracle on NT versious UNIX

From: Pedro Lopez <plopez_at_uwyo.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:13:09 -0700

My experiences w/ Oracle 7.3.3 and Oracle 8.0.5 on NT have pointed out a number of things:

  1. Lack of a decent scheduler. If you are going to be running large scale batch processes on a regular basis (i.e. nightly) the lack of a decent scheduler can be crippling. We had to spend $$$$ on a 3rd party tool and then went through a nightmarish period before we could get it to work properly. With UN*X you always have cron.
  2. Better scripting environment in UNIX. Scripting can be a great labor saving device. You have your choice of bash (my favorite), sh, csh, tsh etc. In the project I was in we had to fork out $$$ for a proprietary ksh product that sort of scripted like a UN*X. Perl has gotten much better on NT over the past few years but there are certain things you cannot do on NT, such as signals and forks, that are standard on UN*X.
  3. As a consequence of 1 and 2, NT is going to be much more labor intensive. Also the paradigm of GUI with buttons requires human response far too often. If, for example, you do a shutdown and an error box pops up some one has to physically be there to hit the 'OK' button. In the past I have left an NT server after issuing a shutdown and comeback 2 hours later to find the system wedged by a popup box. Having to 'babysit' a system in such a manner is poor use of a busy sysadmin's time. The scripting and process pradigm of a UNIX like system or the job paradigm of a mainframe is much better suited for large scale environments.
  4. NT 4.0 only supports up to 4 processors, with no multi threading accross clusters. Win2K is supposed to support more processors and multithreading, but I personally would like to see it in action for a year before purchasing it. Sun, HP and others have been making huge high end server with up to 1028 processors for several years and multithreading accross clusters.

Basically, I think that if you are in an organization that is rapidly growing and needs huge amounts of throughput, stay with UNIX. If you are in a smaller organization and do not see a huge increase in demand for performance, NT may be the way to go.

just my $.02