Re: q: read-only snapshot replication

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:30:14 -0800

Oracle uses snapshot logs when doing fast refreshes. When a row is changed in the master table, a trigger fires to load the modified row into the snapshot log. It doesn't take into account what the updated values are as far as I know.

Replication isn't needed for views. Remember views are nothing more than windows on to the underlying tables, they contain no data of their own. So long as you replicate the underlying tables and the view definition is there in both databases, it will appear as though the view has been replicated.

On the last question, why would you replicate the table if the data stays the same? This is one situation where I would not use replication, because you would need to quiesce the group, set up the replication for the table etc. each night. Not worth it.

HTH. Pete