Re: online backups

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 13 Dec 1999 15:43:04 GMT

Mass updates will slow down the backup as well as the mass updates but there is no issue as far as potential corruption even with the truncate.

> I have a question about doing online backups.
>
> We currently have archive logging enabled. Our Unix system
> admins are backuping the oracle database by doing
> a alter tablespace begin backup and
> then issuing a unix cp command to copy the datafile(s) for
that
> tablespace. Then they issue the alter tablespace end backup.
>
> The question is this. while they are backuping up (takes
about 31/2
> hours to complete) we are performing table loads. These
loads
> are truncating tables and then programs are inserting into
them.

> Will this cause the backup files to be possibly corrupt?
>
> Will the truncate cause problems since this is a non-logged
action?

> Can you safely do a backup while mass updates/inserts and
truncates

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=8610&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=7376 Received on Mon Dec 13 1999 - 09:43:04 CST