Re: maxdatafiles and db_files - oracle 8

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 13 Dec 1999 15:42:50 GMT

It is identical in both versions.
One other thing to keep in mind. So you don't have to do this again.
MAXDATAFILES can be set initially to as large as you ever expect to need it to be
 and you can make db_files as big as you need it to be NOW. Later you can change db_files without having to make a control file again.
A bigger MAXDATAFILES just means the control file is somewhat larger
to accomodate the extra slots for potential file names. Also - you can INCREASE the size of a file these days with the alter database datafile 'xxxx' resize 9999; command so if your problem is you keep adding files you can instead increase their size
as long as the size does not exceed the operating system limit. Best of luck,
Becca
> I have reviewed previous messages on this group re: this
topic but I
> would like to confirm this procedure.
> I am running oracle 8. My current maxdatafiles is 254 and
db_files is
> 254. I want to increase these vaules to 1000. By recreating
my control
> file using alter database backup controlfile to trace and
modifying

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=8231&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=7369 Received on Mon Dec 13 1999 - 09:42:50 CST