Re: Net8 Performance Tuning (client/server tuning)

From: <bahung_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:00:46 GMT

In article <7jP34.35$vX5.1548_at_newreader.ukcore.bt.net>,   "Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com> wrote:

> At least that is my understanding.
> So no surprises is the timing difference.

You're right in that the session connect will take longer because there is more going on. However, I just thought five seconds was too long.

Have you done any tweaking to speed up the connect time (while not sacrificing overall database performance)?

I heard that 'client load balancing' or 'connection load balancing' might help, but I cannot find any details searching on the Web so far.

Thanks,

Hung

> Regards
>
> --
> Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD) - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich
United

> > I am trying to accomplish two objectives. One, I want to
> > speed up the connection time from the client to the server.
> > It takes about 220
> > milliseconds for TNSPing to return a response. However it
> > takes five or six seconds to connect to the database via
> > SQL*Plus. Second, I want to do general network (Net8) performance
> > tuning.
> >
> > What can I do to improve the connection time? What
> > strategy delivers the biggest bang for the bucks?
> >
> > Would you explain the differences between 'client load
> > balancing' and 'connection load balancing' and how to
> > implement both?
> >
> > Lastly, how do you determine the number of possible
> > connections per process for the particular operating
> > system? I'm trying to determine the initial number of dispatchers
> > to start.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Hung
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 10:00:46 CST