Re: Oracle 8i on Linux Object creation help needed

From: <foo_at_you.to>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 23:24:44 GMT

Here is problem number 2. Most of the tools that I try to use somplain that they cannot open or find the shared object files that they need. The files are located in the /lib directory under $ORACLE_HOME and are owned by user oracle and have the proper permissions set. I can't figure out what is going wrong here. SQL*PLUS complains that it cannot access libclntsh.so.8.0 but it is definitely there and appears fine. Several other functions that I try to use complain of the this or other shared object files not being present or accesable. How does a program know where to locate the shared object? Is it registered like a .dll in Win or does it need to be accessable through an environment variable? I am having a lot of problems getting things configured. I have read that this release is very buggy so I am wondering if anyone can confirm getting a fairly workable server up and running. I am eventually going to connect from a Win box in my ethernet network but right now I am having trouble connecting. The Win box complains that it can't find a listener but I have one set up on my Linux box. How can I confirm that it is running? So many problems so little me. Thanks for any help.