Strange default installation location

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:03:36 GMT

Here’s a strange observation . . . .

I’ve been building up a new server to host a test/development inTRAnet web site. We blew away the old configuration on the machine, and started from scratch with Compaq’s SmartStart configuration CD, installing NT4.0. After installing some of the web stuff, I installed the Oracle8I (8.1.5.0.0) client software. Remember, this is the first time this server has seen anything to do with Oracle . . . We put in the CD and selected “Install” from the autostart menu, then selected for a standard client installation. When the first panel came up asking where it should be installed the suggested default was on the D: drive. We confirmed that there were no existing Oracle directories of any kind on any drive. We also searched the entire registry for any data values of “D:\” to see if ANYTHING was pointing to the D: drive. The only hits we got were for INETPUB.

So . . . what in the world could have been making the installer suggest an installation to the D: drive?

(As a matter of fact, our standard configuration for database and web
servers is to put the OS on C: and all “third party” products on D:, so the suggested default was, indeed, what we wanted – but there’s no way the Oracle installer could know that!)

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 24 1999 - 14:03:36 CST