Re: Upgrade horror stories/victories

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:12:39 -0000

Could it be that the 'one bucket histogram' was actually 'a histogram on one column' ?

The

    <pair of rows in user_tab_histograms (faked     in, even if you haven't generated a histogram).> is simply a different representation of the low_value / high_value which is also displayed in user_tab_columns.

You are quite right, of course, there are always likely to be a few special cases where the averaging effect of a simple analyze is never good enough - even at 100% - and Oracle needs a histogram to get a good result. The default bucket count is 75 buckets though, so over-casual use of histograms can actually lead to a drop in performance of low-volume queries due to excessive parse costs.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

<81hek0$81l$1_at_ssauraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com>...