Re: Best way to reduce number of extents?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:16:18 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "Bernd Maierhofer" <BerndM_at_dato.at> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:18:53 +0100, you wrote:

>I wondered what would be the best approach for reducing the number of
>extents in an O8 database. Can this be done wothout unloading the data? Can
>this be automated? Like making a stored procedure which unloads the data,
>reconfigures the table, loads the data?
>
>Thank you for your advice!

why do you want to reduce the number of extents? It will not improve performance (unless you full scan this table *lots* and the extents are not even multiples of you multi-block-read-count and you have HUNDREDS of extents).

In Oracle8.0 and before, you have to unload/reload.

In Oracle8i, release 8.1 and up you can "alter table X move tablespace Y storage ....."

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Nov 24 1999 - 07:16:18 CST