Simple Performance Problem

From: Buck Turgidson <jcman_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 07:23:52 -0800

I have been analyzing some performance issues with PeopleSoft payroll. All SQL statements are pretty well optimized, but one query, which retrieves all YTD taxes for every employee in the paygroup, comprises 40% of the run-time. The query is executed only once, and returns at least 100K rows, potentially twice that. It begings to return rows quickly, it just has a lot of rows to return.

Short of a Catepillar bulldozer, is there a way to speed up the physical movement of this data from the datafiles into memory, so it can be processed by PSFT COBOL? Such things as caching the table, parallel query? We use a pretty hefty RS/6000 AIX with multiple CPU's.

I'd love to hear some "Stupid DBA Tricks" Received on Sat Nov 20 1999 - 09:23:52 CST