Re: Simple Performance Problem

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 17:12:59 -0000

If you are confident that Oracle is doing its bit effectively (i.e. identifying the 100,000 rows) and the problem is getting them to the COBOL program there are two possibilities:

  1. Is the COBOL program doing single row fetches. If so, there is little you can do beyond re-writing it to use array-fetches.
  2. If the COBOL is running array fetches, can you widen the pipeline between the front-end and the backend, i.e. increase the SDU (session data unit) of the sql*net connection. There are details of how to do this in the SQL*Net manuals from around 7.3.3 onwards. You may have to construct an IPC or BEQ entry for the tnsnames.ora to get the best throughput.

One item to check first, though, is the v$session_event (and v$session_wait) for the session running the COBOL to find out where most of the time is being lost.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk