Re: Why people dislike consultants

From: Simon Denvers <simon.denvers_at_cableinet.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:26:11 +0000

Hi James,

Interesting theories. I guess you're in the USA. I'm in the UK, where things may be different, but I'll answer from my point of view.

From what you say, I would guess you've not been in the business too long, forgive me if I'm wrong. I don't agree that people do not like computer consultants very much. I think permies are sometimes jealous of our earning power and depth of knowledge. They tend to grow out of this as they mature and their own earning power increases. Eventually, some of the permies even end up as consultants themselves!

Could you avoid hiring a consultant for the day by surfing the web? Maybe for some simple problems. Wouldn't you rather get a consultant in and pick their brains on the subject in question, as well as read around on the net? That way you get the best of both worlds.

My guess is you've had experience of bad consultants. There are bad consultants, just as there are bad permies. At least with consultants you don't have to hire them again, it's as simple as that. If you find a good one, stick with them.

Regards,
Simon

Quoting for uk.consultants: