Re: Why people dislike consultants

From: Randy DeWoolfson <randyd_at_cais.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:20:05 -0500

James,

you sound like a disgruntled guy. too bad.

consultants serve a very important purpose (maybe several) and you seem to miss all of them in your post. btw, I am fully employed but do occaisionally do consulting on the side...

I find people DO like consultants. at least they like ME :)

why? because I solve their problems. simple.

Is it worth it to them? yes.

try to imagine that you are the boss. (I am 'the boss' btw...). why would you want to hire a consultant? in short: because my existing staff does not have the skills and/or time to complete the project within the existing time or monetary constraints.

sorry, but if i had an employee like you who insisted that no consultant come in and 'ruin' your efforts, and all you needed was a little more surfing time to find the right liftable code, then i would fire you. in the long run, it would be far cheaper to replace you than to be hindered by your 'not developed here' attitude.

randy