Re: newbie: archivelog mode

From: Alex Hudghton <alex_at_alenda.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:29:39 GMT

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:42:40 -0800, "Verna Legaspi" <verna.legaspi_at_attws.com> wrote:

>Greetings DBAs,
>
>We recently had a problem with a couple of disks filling up from all the
>archived redo logs. Is it fairly safe to delete the old, archived logs if
>we have a "cold" backup of the database? Should our databases be in
>archivelog mode if we do complete backups nightly?
>
>We have Oracle 7.3.2, 8.0.5, and 8i RDBMS.

If you do cold backups nightly you can delete any archived logs from before the backup time - but why not keep some on disk (5days) so that recovery is faster should you need it ?

Also why not backup all your archive logs when you are saving the database ?

Yes, you do need them in archivelog mode. If you have a failure without it ten minutes before you are diue to backup, then you have lost a days work - can you afford that ??

Alex Received on Wed Nov 10 1999 - 04:29:39 CST