View Questions

From: Ken Lee <Ken.Lee_at_its.monash.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:42:49 +1100

Gudday,

We are going to have a database containing quite a number of active views, maybe 50+. This database would also have a high update transaction rate. So I am hoping someone could help answer a couple of questions I have regarding views and Oracle 8.

A view, when activated, creates a virtual table based on the view definition. The virtual table is stored in the temporary table space.

While the virtual table is being built does the database take out any sort of lock restrictions to maintain data integrity? ie: How does Oracle deal with updates to the base table(s) during view activation?

While the view is in use and the base table data is changed how does the database deal with the changes? ie: How does Oracle deal with changes base table(s) changes while view is in use?

Thanks... Ken Lee Received on Mon Nov 08 1999 - 19:42:49 CST