Re: Resize or add Datafiles

From: Neil <nc1967_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:49:23 -0000

Hi,
adding datafiles allows you "stripe" a tablespace across multiple disks, and to allocate extents for tables to a specific datafile. Resizing datafiles doesn't require you to take an immediate backup, or create a copy of the control file as the resize command is recorded in the redo ./ archive logs. Whereas when adding a datafile you should backup the datafile and take a copy of the controlfile (backup conrolfile to trace)

Also, in some versions of 7.3 there were some bugs when resizing datafiles when using multiple dbwr processes.

HTH Neil