CLIENT AND SERVER ON THE SAME BOX: IPC, or.../ SID, or net_service_name (but no need of a LISTENER)

From: Avner Levy <aglevy_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:33:17 -0700

Hi,

I am looking for info about Oracle 8.1, where the client and the server are on
the same machine.

I am using ISAPI, and the client is a dll accessing a local database.

I assume since the database is accessed only from the same machine, I have no need for the listener.

But reading the differences existing between 8.0 and 8.1 I understood that

referring a database through the SID is no longer enough, that I also have to specify a service name.

In Oracle 7, it was easy: I specified access: beq_local, and that was it. I could access the database.

I tried IPC, etc. searched for info about local access to a database, but in vain.

Any clue is welcome.

Thanks.

Gerard. Received on Sat Oct 30 1999 - 23:33:17 CDT