Re: Online Backup

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 17:29:28 +0200

[You should study "Oracle database concepts" for further study]

Each datafile contains a system change number, this number says which transaction number is safely committed in the datafile. When recovery is needed, the recovery for a datafile starts at the transaction number recorded in the file. ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP only tells the RDBMS to NOT write this transaction number in the datafiles for that tablespace. When such datafile is restored, the recovery begins at the transaction number from just before the ALTER statement. ALTER TABLESPACE END BACKUP tells the RDBMS that it is safe again to write the transaction number in the file. All datablocks are written to the datafile as usual between the 2 statements.

Between the BEGIN and END BACKUP not only the new data is recorded in the logfiles, but also the old data.
This is needed to make it possible to recover until any transaction between the BEGIN and END BACKUP.
This slows down the database operation, but certainly does not stop it.

So during backup you copy a file that has AT LEAST all the transactions upto the BEGIN BACKUP statement, and
possibly also contains data UNTIL the END BACKUP statement. The datafile is therefore inconsistent with itself. The RECOVER command corrects this.

Please note that for Oracle 8 these statements are no longer needed when RMAN is used.

Erwin

--
Erwin Dondorp
<http://www.dondorp.com/> Received on Sat Oct 30 1999 - 10:29:28 CDT