Online Backup

From: Jill <jc_va_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 08:19:23 -0700

I have been troubled by something I read on this newsgroup earlier. I thought that when you "alter tablespace begin backup", during that period nothing is written to the tablespace, only to the redo logs until "..end backup". Now I am reading that the tablespace is written to while doing an operating system copy, and that full blocks, not just rows, are written to the redo logs. Even our senior DBA in our office had the same misconception as I.

How does the operating system take a consistent copy of the tablespace, especially if it is very large? How does it sort if out upon recovery? I know these are broad questions, but if someone could correct my understanding, I'd appreciate it. Received on Sat Oct 30 1999 - 10:19:23 CDT