Re: RMAN Hot backup script

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:53:13 -0700

What an interesting way to use RMAN! I've never seen anything quite like it. The problem is that you are basically scripting out an Oracle7-style hot backup in RMAN, when RMAN can do this by itself without using hot backup mode. Your current script does nothing that a batch file could not do. FWIW, in your script the disk channel you are opening up is doing nothing. All the I/O is being handled by the ocopy command out at the host level.

You need to look at the RMAN documentation, which contains sample scripts for using the BACKUP FULL ... (DATABASE); command. This allows backup to disk or tape without using tablespace hot backup mode.

There are also sample scripts in the Oracle distribution. On unix they are in ?/rdbms/demo/. On NT they are in ?\Rdbms80\Rman\.

--
Jeremiah