Re: TNS on Sun Solaris

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:46:11 GMT

Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl> writes:

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > Hi Frank,
> >
> > Do you have any proof of that? My initial guess is the same as your
> > recommendation but my recent experiments showed that using bequeath (a
> > variant of IPC) tnsping was up to 8 times slower (around 1000 secs).

Slower for initial connection or for executing queries? Is this running MTS? Do you have your listener doing pre-forked servers (I forget what Oracle calls them)?

Bequeath == fork in Oracle-speak, I'm not sure from what operating system this comes though. So every bequeathed server means doing a fork and exec of Oracle and then setting up the shared memory and semaphores for the SGA. Once started then it uses IPC to communicate with the started process though.

Whereas an IPC connection contacts the listener and obtains an existing already running server whether an already forked dedicated server or a shared MTS server.

1000 seconds is wayyyy long though. Under heavy load this server can start a dedicated server in a maximum of 900ms. Under less load it's like 10ms.

--
greg Received on Thu Oct 28 1999 - 11:46:11 CDT