RE: Block header average size

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 22:28:56 +1000

Hello Ric,

The common block header takes 20 bytes and the tail takes 4 bytes. The transaction control header takes 24 bytes and there are 24 bytes for each transaction slot. Then there is a 14-byte common header for the data layer. Cluster blocks have a table directory, followed by a row directory. Each slot in the table directory takes 4 bytes, and each slot in the row directory takes 2 bytes. Table blocks are the same as cluster block, except that there can only be one table in the table directory. Index blocks have a 16-byte common index block header following the common data block header, and then either a 24-byte branch block header, or a 32-byte leaf block header, depending on the block type. These index headers are followed by a row directory, as for clusters and tables. There is also a 3-byte row header on each row in the data area. So there you have it ... it depends.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/