raid 0+1 verses separating disk io

From: <raff32_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:18:00 GMT

This is a question about raid and which configuration is best for performances on sunOS 5.6.
I have six nine gig drives available for an oracle database and two oracle dba's who differ on how to achieve the best performance.

dba 1: says to put all 6 disks together in a raid 0+1 configuration and end up with 27 gigs available in one directory mounted at ORACLE_BASE. He claims the striping of the disks will give faster access data and outperform separating indexes and data on different disks. (If this was true, this is the ideal scenario).

dba 2: says to separate oracle executables, data, indexes and backup all on seperate disks. This seems like it is an out of date solution that will waste space. The only reason I would adopt this scenario is if the performance was actually better than the raid 0+1 configuration.

If anyone could provide some insight into this or perhaps point me to a website where such a study has been documented I would be very appreciative.
Thanks a lot.

Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 20 1999 - 14:18:00 CDT