Re: Impact of NT 4.0 Reinstallation on Oracle 8.0 db

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 06:57:55 GMT

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:35:44 +0800, "Sanjay Hans" <sanhans_at_mbox5.singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>I have a Oracle 8.0 database running on a Digital Alpha NT 4.0 Server with
>service pack 3.
>Due to some reason (not related with Oracle 8 database), I will have to have
>reinstall the NT 4.0 and sp 3 again. I was told that I can do so after
>shutting down the Oracle 8 database and there will be no impact on
>the Oracle database. I have a doubt that reinstalling the NT 4.0 will
>overwrite the registry and it will create some problem for the Oracle
>database. One option is to export the registry and import the registry after
>reinstalling the NT 4.0. I have no experience in doing such thing. I would
>appreciate, if you can share you experiences & give your suggestion. I want
>to avoid reinstalling the Oracle 8 again after reinstalling NT 4.0 since
>the Oracle database size is about 15 GB and it will be tedious and time
>consuming. But I have no choice and I have to reinstall the NT 4.0 .
>
>Thanks in advance.

Most likely the re-install will just 'merge' the new registry keys with the existing ones, so no impact.
However, you might want to export the Oracle branch of the registry. To do so, startup regedt32, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\sofware\oracle. Now choose the Registry menu, export registry, selected branch, type any file name and you are set. Importing can be done by just double clicking on your .reg file.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Oct 17 1999 - 01:57:55 CDT