Oracle8 vs Oracle8i

From: Mason Lee <mlee7_at_san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 06:43:38 GMT

Hi,
We are currently developing database apps using Java through JDBC to access the NT server using Oracle8.0.5. We also use the same apps to access Personal Oracle8 (8.0.4) on NT as well. Data transferring between the Oracle Server and Personal Oracle are done via SQLNET.

We are thinking switch to Oracle8i before delivering the system in 3 months. Can anyone tell me how big the task is to do the conversion? We utilize most of the Oracle provided utilities: Replication, DBMS_JOB, DBMS_BLOB... What is the major difference between the two? What are the other things we should take into consideration such as version of JDBC, ODBC. What is the advantages for using Oracle8i? Do I need any other Oracle products if I want to install Oracle8i (WebDB???).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mason Received on Fri Oct 15 1999 - 01:43:38 CDT