Re: COMPATIBLE parameter.

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:00:55 -0700

When you say "binary indices" do you mean bitmap indexes as the rest of the sentence discusses? If so, your statement is incorrect. Bitmap indexes can be updated, but due to the nature of bitmap indexes an attempt to update or insert into a column that has a bitmap index defined on it will require the BITMAP to be locked, not the row. That's one of the reasons bitmap indexes are recommended for low update columns.

Going back to the original poster's question, the only issue really with changing COMPATIBLE is that if you use some of the new version's functionality, downgrading can be more complex. In this case, it's highly unlikely that you would need to downgrade to something lower than 7.3.2 (and you wouldn't be on a supported release if you did), so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

HTH. Pete