Re: Oracle in Different Countries

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:14:19 -0400

In general installations in France use the 8-bit character set but often run with NLS settings for American and America. Most commands are easily recognizable. Not being able to communicate with your clients at their site is likely to be a larger problem.

Van

PS The default database creation setting in the US is 7-bit character set. This cannot be changed after database creation. If you plan to transfer table data back and forth from Europe make sure your US databases start out using 8 bit characters. Otherwise you'll be re-creating them from scratch. (I learned the hard way)