Re: Performance Tuning

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:53:43 +0100

It is a commonly held belief still that a 'short table' is one that is 4 (or 5) blocks or less.

This has not been true for a very long time.

A small table is one where the number of blocks is less than parameter (_)small_table_threshold, a parameter which no longer exists in newer versions of Oracle, but which defaulted to 2% of the db_block_buffer figure.

Small tables can be VERY big.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk