Re: USE_ISM

From: Neil C <btsscrth_at_bt.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:46:23 +0100

Hi,

from Oracles Metalink .......

Description

USE_ISM is an Oracle init.ora parameter that can be set for the Sun Solaris machines to allow Oracle to take advantage of Solaris's "Intimate Shared Memory" option. The settings for USE_ISM are either TRUE/FALSE. If TRUE page table entries for SGA pages are shared between processes. NB: parameter: db_block_cache_protect is disabled if USE_ISM is set to TRUE .
If FALSE Page table entries for SGA pages are NOT shared between processes.

Call SUN Support for more details about ISM. It basically allows the use of a shared page table.
There have been problems in the past with ISM with certain combinations of OS and/or hardware. If in doubt ISM can be disabled by setting USE_ISM=FALSE in the init.ora file.

Support Note:

HTH NeilC