compressed exports/imports on NT ?

From: Tapio Luukkanen <tapio.luukkanen_at_vtt.fi>
Date: 06 Oct 1999 23:24:19 +0300

Hello,

Got a brand new server which unfortunately had to be NT because of other software which needs to run on it.

I'm now setting up backups and I'd like to be able to do compressed exports and imports _within_ the same box.

I seem to recall having read something about "named pipes" being available in some form under Windows NT, but how similar are they to their Unix cousins ? Could I just write a C wrapper which creates a pipe, setups 'gzip' or 'compress' on it, and passes the pipe name as a parameter to the 'exp80' or 'imp80' ? If this is doable, has anyone done it yet ?

I'd be grateful for any tips on this.

Regards,
  Tapio

--