Re: Cold Backups

From: <vmisetich_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 16:35:26 GMT

If I wanted to do this on the same machine, and I needed to edit my controlfiles, what tool would I use to do this? And what pieces of information would I need to change? I know pathnames were mentioned below, but is there anything else(SIDs, for example)that I would need to change? I took a look at a controlfile using wordpad, and I saw mostly weird characters and symbols, with a few pieces of intelligible information thrown in. So I'm guessing wordpad isn't the ideal tool to use.

Thanks,
Vince

In article <37F8F140.473291F5_at_wxs.nl>,
  Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl> wrote:
> > Suppose I have two Oracle 8.1.5 instances created (I’ll call them A
and
> > B). Suppose both instances are in NOARCHIVELOG mode. I want to
make
> > instance B a perfect copy of instance A. Could I accomplish this by
> > taking a cold backup of instance A and restoring the cold backup
into
> > the appropriate directories belonging to instance B?
>
> Yes, but the copied controlfiles contain all the path names of the
> datafiles and logfiles.
> If you plan to do this on the same machine, you will have to rename
the
> filenames in the controlfile
> before opening the database or you will be trying to use the original
> datafiles.
> You need to copy the init.ora and config.ora files as well to get
> exactly the same behaviour.
> The init.ora file contains the path names to the controlfiles so you
> will need to change these
> before mounting the database.
>
> If instance B is on a different machine it is much simpler.
> Just use exactly the same pathnames.
>
> Erwin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 05 1999 - 11:35:26 CDT