Re: Cold Backups

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 20:26:08 +0200

> Suppose I have two Oracle 8.1.5 instances created (I’ll call them A and
> B). Suppose both instances are in NOARCHIVELOG mode. I want to make
> instance B a perfect copy of instance A. Could I accomplish this by
> taking a cold backup of instance A and restoring the cold backup into
> the appropriate directories belonging to instance B?

Yes, but the copied controlfiles contain all the path names of the datafiles and logfiles.
If you plan to do this on the same machine, you will have to rename the filenames in the controlfile
before opening the database or you will be trying to use the original datafiles.
You need to copy the init.ora and config.ora files as well to get exactly the same behaviour.
The init.ora file contains the path names to the controlfiles so you will need to change these
before mounting the database.

If instance B is on a different machine it is much simpler. Just use exactly the same pathnames.

        Erwin Received on Mon Oct 04 1999 - 13:26:08 CDT